Within a decade the Company had commenced the manufacture of screws as part of its production of brassware, in particular bedstead knobs, and during the years up to the turn of the Century machine screws gradually took over from the forging and stamping work.
By the late 1880s, William Henry,had brought his son Henry into the Company, the founding brother having departed, although William was still capable of driving the horse and trap that was used for deliveries.
By the outbreak of the First World War, Mason Brothers, still known by its original title, had imported a screw manufacturing plant from Germany and Henry spent a great deal of time in America seeking out new production methods and equipment. The Company now produced a large range of Imperial rolled and cut thread fasteners, wire work and turned parts.
August 1919 saw the Company incorporated as a Limited Liability Company and the name changed to H Mason and Sons Limited.
Progress was steady during the 1920s and 1930s, by now James Mason was Managing Director. James, grandsons of the founder, would often design machinery himself when unable to satisfy his exacting requirements from the machine tool suppliers. He was actively involved with the design and production of the first fully automatic headless screw producing machine in Germany and brought the first machines in this country in the late 1930s. With the outbreak of the Second World War, like most other manufacturing companies, production was turned over to the requirements of the War Department.
Further progress through the 1950’s, 60’s, 70s’, and 80’s, saw “Masons” consolidate their position as a major UK fastener manufacturer. By the early 1990’s Masons Fasteners, now in the hands of David and Martin Millicheap, James Mason’s grandsons, had an unrivalled manufacturing range of M2 – M12. The company continues into the new millennium manufacturing and supplying a vast range of fasteners.